In 1996, Darin and Rochelle Fair and their (then) young family, started in the coffee business with the opening of The Beanery Coffee Company. They chose to locate in Summerland, in the beautiful Okanagan Valley of British Columbia.
With a winning combination of fresh food, good coffee and great service, they established a loyal following and 'The Beanery' became the quintessential gathering place in the community. By 2000, with growing demands and a desire to provide the best product possible, the Fairs purchased a refurbished Deidrich coffee roaster. They sourced, through the expertise of their coffee buyers, quality coffees and Darin began in-store roasting. In time he learned to create the optimal roast profile, producing fresh, carefully roasted & thoughtfully blended Specialty Coffees.
With the decision to sell the café in 2008, the Fairs chose to continue to follow their passion of roasting and marketing Specialty Coffee and found a new location for their coffee roaster.
In 2013, lone tree coffee was founded to allow the Roastery, and still thriving Beanery Cafe become unique identities in the community.
Today lone tree coffee still chooses coffees from farms that are Utz Certified, Fair Trade, Organic, Rainforest Alliance or simply grown responsibly by default. Their new Diedrich Coffee Roaster coupled with an Oxidizer (after-burner) produces a clean, energy efficient, roasting medium. The Fairs have expanded their business to include a growing online marketplace while continuing to service Cafes, Offices & Grocery Stores.
Darin continues to oversee the roasting process and Rochelle manages the daily operations of the Roastery.
Their goal is for you to 'Enjoy'!
Darin & Rochelle
Founders, lone tree coffee
When you are buying lone tree coffee, you share in our commitment.
- Commitment to cup quality, paying a premium for the best quality Arabica beans
- Commitment to support at time-of-trade various certification programs that promote/regulate sustainable growing practices
- Commitment to our global community of coffee growers and their families
- Commitment to the environment by using an oxidizer to minimize air pollution as well as reducing fuel consumption by 50%, using infrared burners in our roaster to reduce fuel consumption by a further 50%, recycling waste products, and minimizing vehicle use in our delivery schedules.
- Commitment to our local community through donations to Youth Clubs, local teams and Arts groups, and by helping schools through our Fundraising program.
- Commitment to you, having the best possible coffee experience.